Decentralized Clinical Trial Innovator Science37 Engaged 10Fold to Raise Awareness, Influence
Healthcare technology innovator Science 37 required communications and marketing support at a critical juncture in its history. By 2021, the company had built an impressive track record enabling decentralized clinical trials by connecting researchers, health networks and patient communities together on an innovative, online collaboration platform. With plans to take the company public via a SPAC-based IPO, Science 37 engaged 10Fold Communications for a comprehensive visibility campaign to tell Science 37’s disruptive story and raise awareness around the upcoming news.
The project was a success, ultimately supporting the run up to a strong debut on the Nasdaq in October 2021 with 54 high-profile media hits, feature interviews, contributed bylines and podcasts along with social engagements.
Founded in 2014, Science 37 (Nasdaq: SNCE) is transforming the way healthcare and pharmaceutical research studies are conducted with a full-stack, end-to-end technology platform that decentralizes and accelerates the clinical trial process, creating a more agile process. The platform, along with its centralized networks of patient communities, telemedicine investigators, mobile nurses, remote coordinators, provider communities, and data and devices, enables up to 15x faster enrollment, 28% better retention, and 3x more diverse patient population with industry-leading workflow orchestration, evidence generation and data harmonization.
To date, the company has conducted more than 95 decentralized clinical trials involving more than 366,000 patients. Configurable to any study type, the Science 37 agile clinical trial solution adds greater flexibility to extend the traditional decentralized clinical trial design through bring together technology, standardized process and centralized community networks.
To raise industry and public awareness of these differentiators and publicize the company’s intent to debut as a publicly-traded company, Science 37 engaged 10Fold on an initial Scope of Work (SOW) for April and May 2021. This was immediately followed by a second SOW for a blend of ongoing PR, social and analyst relations activities for several additional months through significant milestones including the IPO close, company expansion and research announcements.
- Generate media and industry attention via PR, social and analyst outreach on the IPO and position Science 37 for thought leadership as a disrupter in clinical research technology
- Shape and promote the value proposition around Science 37 differentiators as a unique platform for decentralized clinical trials, including compelling messaging on the social good stemming from higher enrollment, retention and diversity among trial participants
- Establish aggressive outreach targets and measure performance via dynamic tracking and scorecards
Communications Strategy and Challenges
- Develop consistent organizational brand with distinct, but complementary messages calibrated for different stakeholder audiences: Science 37 needed to convey its value proposition and differentiators to a complicated set of media and industry stakeholders. The client required both a targeted focus on the business story of Science 37 and its IPO journey; together with broader visibility and messaging around the benefits of decentralized clinical trials. This included preparing and publicizing Science 37 research on clinical trials, showcasing Science 37’s commitment to greater diversity in research and explaining Science 37’s use of special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) funding as an alternative to traditional venture capital.
- Establish a credible and high profile thought leadership platform around clinical trial transformation: The 10Fold team positioned Science 37 as a thought leader in explaining how the clinical research industry is undergoing a dramatic and disruptive digital transformation. To establish the company as a thought leader on clinical trials transformation, the campaign developed strategically timed and coordinated messaging for tailored narratives and proof points targeting financial, technological, research, pharmacological and patient-centered audiences.
- Position and prepare Science 37 executives for media outreach and interviews: The media-heavy focus of the engagement resulted in intensive pitching, scheduling and SME interview support so that company executives could effectively convey the Science 37 story and value proposition to business, technology and healthcare media outlets. This included top tier targets such as Bloomberg, Fortune, Axios, Yahoo News, Los Angeles Business Journal, FierceBiotech and others.
10Fold’s work on behalf of Science 37 was a success, surpassing aggressive KPIs set for the engagement. In the initial announcement , 10Fold secured 54 pieces of unique coverage including an exclusive in Bloomberg and stories in Fortune and [TYLER ADD SOCIAL METRICS HERE]. In October, the 10Fold team worked closely with Science 37 as the IPO closed and the company officially began trading on the Nasdaq. Science 37 appeared in four broadcast interviews and more than 20 print articles including The Street, American Business Journal, Endpoints.
In addition to these two significant points in time, 10Fold created a steady stream of coverage through placing multiple contributed articles, securing podcasts and Q&As on key industry topics such as diversity, the patient experience and the role of real world evidence in longitudinal studies. Additionally, company news from the expansion of the executive team, Science 37 research studies and partnerships rounded out the coverage in publications such as Applied Clinical Trials, HIT Consultant, Clinical Research News and other outlets. Coverage was amplified through executive social media suggestions and ongoing influencer engagements.
- Applied Clinical Trials – Science 37 Merger with LifeSci Acquisition II Corp.
- BioSpace – Science 37 Jumps Onto SPAC Wagon With Billion-Dollar Deal
- Bloomberg – Science 37 Is Going Public Via LifeSci II SPAC Merger
- FierceBiotech – Science 37 taps a SPAC to go public, with siteless trial specialist valued at a cool $1B
- Fortune – What it really takes to found a unicorn (not an Ivy degree)
- Los Angeles Business Journal – Science 37 Plans to Go Public in $1.33 Billion Deal
- MobiHealthNews – Clinical trial platform Science 37 latest digital health startup to enter SPAC
- MSN – SPACs Attack’ Recap: Looking Back At 5 SPAC Deals, Rumors And Top Headlines
- Pharma Manufacturing – Virtual trial company Science 37 goes public
- The Street – SPAC Momentum? 3 New Monday Deals
- HIT Consultant – 3 Ways Decentralized Clinical Trials Can Expand Diversity & Improve Participation Rates
- Yahoo Finance – Science 37 makes Nasdaq debut
- Applied Clinical Trials – Five Key Considerations for Designing and Implementing Decentralized Clinical Trials
- Precision Oncology News – Massive Bio Launches Plan to Enroll 100K Cancer Patients Into Clinical Trials
- Outsourcing-Pharma – More sites and sponosrs betting on decentralized format: Science 37
Ultimately, 10Fold helped Science 37 succeed in its Nasdaq debut and grow its brand and influence as a pioneer in next-generation agile clinical trials. This helped deliver additional capital and market momentum for Science 37 as a truly disruptive innovator that’s bringing larger and more diverse patient populations into clinical trials.
The biggest sign of success is the fact that Science 37 quickly expanded the 10Fold engagement from an initial couple of months of targeted work into a more comprehensive, ongoing communications and marketing support. 10Fold is proud of our role in helping an innovative healthcare technology company accelerate and improve the way drugs and treatments are developed and go to market.